Monday, January 21, 2008

The Long Way Around

I've been making little changes since the first in an effort to increase my daily activity level beyond what I do at the gym.

My first order of business was to park farther away from my office. Though I still prefer not to park in the lot that's a half-mile downhill from my office, I don't spend 15 minutes anymore milling around and around looking for an empty spot near the building's entrance.

The next step was to stop using interoffice mail. The campus is not nearly big enough to warrant me dropping paperwork in the office and waiting three days for it to arrive at its destination. Such a decision is even sillier when it only takes about 20 minutes to walk from one end of the campus to the other.

Last week, I decided to stop using the elevator to my third-floor office. To be honest, the elevator is so slow that it's not much of a convenience feature anyway. I take the elevator because I favor high heels (at my height, you take all the extra help you can get), and my klutzy natures makes stairs not so easy to negotiate.

I would probably still be taking the elevator had I not realized last week that I'm not wearing high heels as often to the office. Why the change in fashion? Simple, because on Week 1, I started parking farther from the office. I realized a need to change my footwear by the second day of that habit. I still can't believe it took me two weeks to realize that switch also meant my excuse for using the elevator was null. Then again, I never said I was the brightest bulb in the drawer.

No comments: