Thursday, February 28, 2008

Annual Lab Results: The Human Pin Cushion Speaks

It's that time of year again. You post-ops all know what time I'm referring to. The time when we head to the doctor a leave with a handy-dandy lab request form in hand that has more boxes marked on it than unmarked, leaving us to wonder whether it would have just been easier for the doctor to write a note saying, "Check for everything but ... "

My lab results weren't that great last year. Both my blood sugar and iron levels were low. But with my employer changing insurance providers and then me taking a new job that offered other types of insurance plans, I had a hard time keeping track of things.

I met my PCP last week and instantly liked him. Merced may have a shortage of physicians, but so far, I think the ones we do have are top notch. He ordered a full course of lab tests for me and referred me to a nutritionist to discuss my hypoglycemia.

At the lab, I struggled not fall asleep as the technician drew eight vials of blood. I made a bee-line from the lab to a food source when it was all said and done.

My results came in early this week. I wish I could say I was surprised by them, but they only served to confirm what I already knew: I'm a bit out of whack.

First the good news: My cholesterol is 167. My risk level for cholesterol-related heart disease is 0.67. Average risk is 2.34-4.13. My doc is very happy. The nutritionist says I can eat all the cheese I want. Must be why I like her so much ;-)

Now for the not-so-good news: I have mytocytic anemia, most commonly referred to as iron-deficiency anemia. Most common, most easy to treat. The main concern is that I've been supplementing daily yet my iron levels are half of what they were a year ago, and my organs are not getting the oxygen they need. This is why I'm so tired and why I can't sustain physical activity for very long.

Here are my results for perspective:
Ferritin -- 1 (normal is 10-154)
Total Iron -- 22 (normal is 40-175)
Hemoglobin --- 10 (normal is 12-15)

Thought my ferritin level is in the toilet, the nutritionist I saw today said she doesn't recommend infusion therapy unless total iron is 10 or less, or hemoglobin is 7 or less. It's her opinion (she's also a family practitioner) that I can afford to try a higher dose of oral therapy for six weeks to see if that improves my levels. If it doesn't, then she'll combine oral therapy with weekly injections. Transfusion will be her last course of action. We will continue to monitor my iron levels every six weeks until I get in the normal range.

I've been taking 20mg of chewable iron daily. She's prescribing a new type of iron supplement that's supposed to be really good for women in general, but has also shown great results in bariatric patients. It's called Repliva. It's set up like birth control pills, where you take one active pill a day for 21 days and then an inactive pill for 7 days. Apparently, the body absorbs iron better when it gets a little break in between supplement cycles. Repliva is said to be more bioavailable than other forms of iron, because it contains B12, Vitamin C and Succinic Acid, which all act as binders to improve absorption. So, in theory, my body will absorb all 150mg of my daily dose. It's available by prescription only, and there is a chance that my insurance company won't cover it. But if it's not covered, I will figure something out. I can't afford not to supplement my iron intake. I'm not the type of person to cut corners when it comes to my health.

I really like my nutritionist. She gave me a glucometer so I can test my blood sugar levels daily and also gave me a plan of action on how to better control my hypoglycemia. I feel like she really took her time explaining reactive hypoglycemia to me and giving me additional tools to manage it. For instance, she told me that reactive hypoglycemia is much more common in the morning, which explains why I have such issues after breakfast that can lead to me ping-ponging all day to achieve balance. The solution may be as easy as eating only protein for breakfast. Following the same logic, that would mean that if I do want to indulge in a carbohydrate, dinner is the best time to do so.

Aside from logging my meals and testing regularly to find patterns, my immediate goal is to figure out how much carbohydrate my body can handle at one time and then ensuring I get a steady dose of that level throughout the day. This should alleviate my problems with fluid retention and bloating. I'm starting with 100 grams of carbs a day, split equally (20g) through my five meals. She prepared me for the need to juggle as my glucose monitoring reveals a pattern. For example, she said I might find that I have to limit my morning meals to only 10 grams of carbs but can boost my afternoon and evening meals to 30 grams.

Long story short, she did a lot to make me feel that all is not lost. That my hypoglycemia can be managed. And though it will take patience and discipline, I feel like she's willing to partner with me in figuring out my specific needs.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi. I just found your site tonight. How are you doing with the iron? I am a 45 year old woman 3 years out. I have developed b12 and iron deficiency anemia. I have been doing the monthly b12 shots. I have to actually get the IV iron sucrose. I was just wondering if you ever had sucess with the oral iron. If there is an oral alternative that would work for me I would love to try it. If you aren't having success with the oral iron, don't wait too long and get sicker, look into the IV iron. God bless.

Tonya said...

I'm not sure whether the Repliva is working, but I'm not having any trouble with the regimen. I will have my labs taken again in three weeks. Hopefully, my hemoglobin will show improvement. If not, then IV iron is something I will push for. Thank you for sharing. B-12 is something I have had no trouble with at all. My numbers are so high that I don't supplement B-12 at this time.