Thursday, September 24, 2009

Recipe: Pumpkin Pie Protein Smoothie

This is a modified recipe from one I found on a WLS recipe site, combined with tips received from the generous proprietors of Barrista's in Tracy (home of the original pumpkin pie smoothie that I was addicted to in my pre-op days).

Note: You can use any vanilla protein powder or even a vanilla RTD drink (like Oh Yeah!), but I prefer the creaminess of Isopure cannot be duplicated. The recipe makes a 25-gram shake but I like to double the protein and pumpkin in the a.m. so the shake holds me through lunch.

Ingredients:
1/4 c pumpkin puree (NOT pie filling...just pureed pumpkin)
1 scoop vanilla Isopure protein powder
1/4 cup ice-cold water
1 tablespoon frozen Cool Whip Lite
1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon agave nectar (Brian prefers 3 pkts of Splenda)
Pinch of salt
6 ice cubes

Directions:
Place pumpkin, protein powder and water in blender and blend until smooth. Add whipped topping, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla, salt and sweetener of choice. Blend again, adding more iced water if you like a thinner smoothie. Switch blender to highest setting and add ice cubes one at a time until you reach the texture and consistency. I find six cubes gives me a high-volume end result similar to soft-serve ice cream or a milkshake. Pour into a class and garnish with a slight dusting of nutmeg and even another dollop of the frozen whipped topping, if you like.