Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Sequel Makes Big Splash


I can't believe it's been so long since I've posted here. Last year was a whirlwind, and it looks like 2014 is shaping up to be even more eventful. The cat has been out of the bag for some time among family and friends -- it's even Facebook official now, as evidenced by the above cover photo that I copied from my profile. We are expecting a second addition to our little family, and we couldn't be more excited.

I have wanted to be a mom for as long as I can remember, and those of you who have been following Inside Out since the beginning know that desire is what drove me to consider surgical weight loss back in 2004. Doctors told me then my weight was the cause of my infertility. I believed them and made the life-changing decision to slice and dice my insides in order to permanently end my battle with obesity and make my dream of motherhood a reality. I never thought it would take five years, a divorce and a remarriage to make it happen, but it did (All pregnancy posts can be found under the "Oh Baby" tag) . And now four years after the birth of our daughter, we find ourselves eagerly anticipating our second child.

A lot has changed in the past four years. First of all, we're older. That means, I hear the phrase "advanced maternal age" a lot at every doctor's appointment. I'm waiting for them to offer me a walker, because it's obvious the medical community hasn't caught up with the times yet and accepted that women remain fertile long after the age of 30.

That frustration aside, it's been a welcome surprise and we're having so much fun enjoying this pregnancy and Lily's reaction to the idea of being a big sister.

I'm still working out, though my routine looks a bit different. I'm quite surprised at how different this pregnancy has been from my first -- and I think a lot of the differences have to do with being in better shape than the last time around. This time, I started off more than 10 pounds lighter and a whole lot leaner. My pre-pregnancy body-fat percentage was 19.4 percent. That's a far cry from 24 percent when I was first evaluated in early 2013.

My hope is to check in here more regularly. Post-WLS pregnancy is still something that's a curiosity for a lot of pre-ops, and everyone handles it so differently. I have friends whose post-surgery pregnancies are no different than the ones they had before. I have other friends who struggle throughout their pregnancies with weight gain, weight loss, malabsorption issues, nutritional deficiencies and body-image issues. Most bariatric veterans fall somewhere in between but that's a wide spectrum to span.

My journey won't be the same as others, but it will be mine.

No comments: