Sunday, May 13, 2007

Vegetarian heaven

The downtown farmers market started today, and there was a vendor selling Afghan food who has stolen my heart. I'm serious -- we are new best friends. First off, he fed me lunch by giving me half a dozen different samples. I walked away with a low-carb pumpkin bolani, lentil curry, eggplant pesto, hummus, sweet-and-sour carrot chutney and whole wheat pita bread.

If you haven't tried Afghan food, I highly recommend it. To me, it tastes "cleaner" than Indian food but still has the complexity of flavor and spiciness that I love. All the stuff I bought today either was made with olive oil or had no added fat. Most of the breads offerred are made with lentil flour. That means no gluten and
lower carbs. The spinach bolani was super-yummy, too.

For those who don't know, bolani is almost like a cheeseless quesadilla. It's a folded piece of flatbread filled with spices and veggies. This vendor had low-carb pumpkin, low-carb spinach, then a veggie and potato version.

If you're in town next weekend, check it out. The farmers market will be open from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Saturday until November. The market is on 10th Street, between Central Avenue and B Street.

If you don't live near the Tracy area, check out the company's Web site by clicking here.

No comments: