Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Liquid calories count

I was talking with a friend today about my recent trip to Tahoe. I was telling her all about the fun I had and the yummy rum runners I discovered there. As I was telling her the ingredients of a rum runner, she commented that they seemed high in calories. I shrugged and said that I knew they were high in sugar, but that the calories were probably lower than she thought.
I looked up the calorie values online and was shocked to see that a basic rum runner is about 200 calories. That's a quarter of what I consume from food in a typical day! That got me to wondering how many calories I drank during my trip. After some simple math, the number 1,600 glared at me from my cell phone calculator. I consumed 1,600 calories in beverages over the course of three days! That's about two full days of food for me.
I'm not one to cry over spilt milk and I'm not losing sleep over this, but it does stop me in my tracks. I'll take more care in choosing my beverages in the future.

No comments: