Thursday, June 22, 2006

Recipes wanted

I'm looking for bariatric-friendly summertime recipes. Anything low-carb and high in protein is good. But even if you only have a regular recipe, post it anyway. Maybe we can figure out a way to make it friendly for WLS patients.

I'll start by posting my chicken salad recipe. I make it in single-serving batches, because my husband isn't a fan of chicken so the measurements are approximate for me.

3 oz. cubed chicken breast
1 tablespoon minced celery
1 teaspoon minced red onion
1 teaspoon dill
Marie's peppercorn ranch dressing
Craisins to taste (or other fruit -- apples and grapes are great)
Sprinkle of chopped nuts (pecans and pine nuts are my fave)

Mix first four ingredients in a bowl, add enough dressing to moisten chicken. Salad can be put in the fridge at this point for later. Right before serving, add Craisins and nuts. If you add them too early, the Craisins will bleed color on the chicken and the nuts will lose their crispenss. If necessary, you can add more dressing to keep the mixture moist.

Serve it on a pile of baby greens or atop a Ry-Krisp cracker. YUM!

No comments: