Thursday, August 03, 2006

Perks of the flu

There's a line in "The Devil Wears Prada" where a characters says, "I'm just a stomach flu away from my goal weight." In my former life as a morbidly obese person, I would never have understood how true that could be.

But as a "normal-size" person, I smirk at the truth of such a comment. I'm just getting over my first nasty illness since having gastric-bypass surgery almost 18 months ago. After taking a week off work and spending almost two weeks subsisting just on liquids, I'm finally on the road to recovery from what had to be the most aggressive stomach virus known to man -- or at least to me.

The week before I came down with this bug, I weighed myself at home and found I was holding steady at 158 pounds as I had for the last few months. When I went to the doctor for my stomach ailment, I weighed 158 on his office scale. I thought that was odd. After all, doctor's office scales tend to weigh on the heavy side because they get jostled so much. But I figured the scale must have been recently calibrated. But after five days of struggling to get in 300 calories a day, I noticed my clothes were getting baggy. I hopped on the scale one morning and was surprised to see it register at 150. I didn't think much of it, figuring I'd put at least some of the weight back on when I started eating solid food again.

But here I am, a week into eating solids, and not only have I not put the weight back on, but I've managed to drop another couple of pounds. And believe me, at this size, 12 pounds is really noticeable. My size 10 pants are loose, and I've gotten tons of recent remarks about looking thinner. And to think, I have the stomach flu to thank for it all.

No comments: